Day 13 - Friday 17th April 2009

Lamu to Mombasa

We knew it had been a wild night as we'd heard the wind whistling and things crashing, and the power went off in the small hours. It had also rained heavily, washing my sandals which were on our balcony. The table, however, was in the dry, and after completing our packing we breakfasted before settling our bill and heading down to the jetty. It was stange walking through Shela and finding water lying on the ground! (and more rain falling).

At the jetty we were told that no boats were coming down from Lamu because of the rough weather, but there was a boat there willing to take us. Seeing no evidence of the boat we had chartered the night before we took this boat, which hugged the shoreline and took us safely to the town jetty. Here we found the reverend gentlemen (from right Fr Anthony, Fr Joe, Fr Philip (PP of Lamu) and the Deacon) taking breakfast, so we joined them for a cup of chai.

Having been found by the boatman we had used yesterday, we boarded the slow, heavy (but stable) boat that had taken us to Shela and back and set out from the town jetty, waved off by Fr Philip and the Deacon.

One last look at Lamu town

The niece's place where we ate last night was in the middle of this area. Hard to be precise because it was dark!

There were still some speedboats operating despite the wind and rain.

Our boat had a roof, and was steady.

Mangrove at low tide. They've been clearing the mangrove on some of this stretch we were told.

A rather nice looking residence.

A boat similar to ours, if a little faster.

The organised chaos of Mokowe quayside - everything for Lamu comes through here.

Going ashore.

Leaving the Mokowe Ferry Dock, the murram road was wet and sludgy on top. The two cellphone companies, Safaricom and Zain, have big advertising hoardings by the road here - we could see them from over a mile away as we sailed in.

Fr Paul from Hindi had met us with the truck and drove us back to his place, passing patches of tidal land.

The church at Hindi - currently part of Lamu parish, but it is becoming a parish in its own right.

You've seen Hard Rock Café in major cities around the world - and now in Hindi!

School desks being made by the roadside in Hindi.

Driving hazards included rain, wet murram, and cattle with little roadsense.

We passed a number of villages with traditional buildings of different designs, reflecting the origins of the people there.

We crossed the Tana river - the biggest river in Kenya, which rises west of Mount Kenya - showing the evidence of recent rain. We also heard that Mivumoni had had its first rain since September, so people were out planting their crops.

Joe's truck looking like Laurie would say a 4x4 should.

A collection of crud on the running board - care required in getting in and out.

Lunch at the Da Gama bar in Malindi...

...where we met the owner, a parishioner here, who Joe knows from his early priesthood based in Malindi.

Malindi was a little wet...

...well, quite wet...

...but life goes on.

At Kilifi we said Goodbye to Fr Anthony, and had a formal "handing back of the keys" ceremony.

Supper was at Coralis', to welcome two new lay missioners (far end of table)

Brother John tucks into the After Eights.

And so, back to the Pastoral Centre at Tudor, where our Coast phase began ten days ago. Goodnight!